Welcome!

This blog is to take ALL the mystery out of Orbital MALT Lymphoma and to share my experiences with others diagnosed with the same cancer.

Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Making the Radiation Mask

The team of physicists decided to redesign my radiation mask after reviewing the new MRI. Being concerned with my fair skin, the decision was made to also mask my chest. So today it was a restart...late...until all of the physicists' time were clear to proceed. The following photos were taken by one of the mask makers. The mask making time: approximately 1 hour & 45 minutes. With calming meds, it wasn't as frightening to me. The MRI for 2 hours with my face clamped into a helmet and a solid board on my chest...beat the mask making process by a point or two.:)


 Let's Get Started!

Physicist and Dr.Blanco marking points for radiation.

The white 't' are clamps that will secure me to the board.

Radiation calculations being marked on orange spongy pad.



The Mask

A hot, moist mesh covered my face & chest.
Eyes and mouth MUST remain closed at all time.

The fabric slowly begins to dry and then shrink.
You are placed in the machine for the air to dry it faster.

The white dots are helping to form the mask.

The mask continues to shrink, forming tightly to my face.
The fabric turns rigid and hard. Making it difficult to breathe.



AND THEN!!!! 

The Final Mask!!



Mask Maker 1


Mask Maker 2


Special MRI for Radiation  Points


Now the easy part begins! Radiation five days/week for 3-4 weeks,wearing my radiation mask for only 15-30 minutes. 
No sweat! Soon, it'll be my security mask..not! LOL

The Mask
We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,--
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be overwise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries
To thee from tortured souls arise.
We sing, but oh the clay is vile
Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
But let the world dream otherwise,
We wear the mask!